Effective Date: May 19, 2020
1. Information We Collect
In the past 12 months we may have collected various types of information, including:
- Location: We use various technologies to learn your geographic location, including by collecting your IP address or other device information, which may depend on your device’s settings for location services.
- Device Information: When you visit our Websites, use our Apps, interact with our Social Media Pages or online ads, or open our emails, we learn about your browser, device type, IP address, internet service provider, the name and version of your operating system, the name and version of your browser, the date and time of your visit, the pages you visit, and any search terms you enter while on the Websites.
- Contact and Account Information: We collect contact and account information, which includes personal information (e.g., name, address, telephone number, email address, billing address, shipping address, business information, job title, payment card information and, account name and password) that you knowingly provide when you use the Websites.
- Payment Details: On some of our Websites you may be able to make purchases. Where you make a purchase on one of our Websites your payment details will be collected in connection with that order.
- Call records, email records, text records, video, and chat logs: If you call, email, text, or chat with our customer service agents, we may keep records of those conversations.
- Shopping History: We keep track of your shopping history with us, including the items you purchase, return or exchange, or add to your shopping cart.
- Website/Apps Interactions: We collect information about your interactions with our Websites and Apps, including pages visited, links clicked, buttons clicked, mouse movement, scroll behavior, and non-sensitive keystroke activity. This data may then be used to create a “session replay” of your interaction, which may be used to troubleshoot customer service issues, either individually or in the aggregate, to improve site functionality and to analyze user interaction. This information could include personal information, depending on what information you provide.
- Submitted Content: We collect any content you submit to our Websites or Social Media Pages including photos, videos, or reviews.
- Demographic Information: We have access to demographic details about our customers such as birthdate, gender, ZIP code, and other similar details.
- Social Media Usage: We receive aggregated information about people who visit and interact with our Social Media Pages.
- Inferences: We may draw inferences about any of the information above that may relate to your preferences, or other matters.
2. How Your Information is Collected
We may collect the information described above directly from you, from third parties we partner with, or through cookies or other automated means. These sources may include:
- You: We collect information directly from you, whenever you: make a purchase; sign up for a newsletter, contact us with questions or comments; upload content to our Websites, Apps, or Social Media Pages; enter our contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions; add items to your shopping cart; create account, respond to a survey; apply for a job; or fill out any forms on our Websites, Apps, or Social Media Pages.
- Your Device or Browser: Certain information is automatically collected from your device or browser and analyzed when you visit our Websites, use our Apps, interact with our Social Media Pages or online advertising, or open our emails or newsletters.
- Third Parties: We work with third parties who provide services to us, like analytics or advertising companies. These third parties share information they have collected with us. Your information may also be collected and processed by third parties, such as the payment providers you select, who will process your information independently in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- Social Media Platforms: Social media platforms share information, which is typically aggregated and doesn’t include personal data, with FS. You can learn more about how social media platforms collect and use your information by reviewing their privacy policies and settings.
- Publicly Available Data: We may combine the information you provide to us with data that is publicly available and data that we collect on our Websites or receive from other sources.
3. How We Use Your Information
- Fulfillment: Fulfilling your orders and other requests, including, but not limited to, processing payments, confirming or updating you on the status of your order, delivering packages, and responding to your customer service inquiries.
- Advertising: Presenting advertising online and via email, or other communication channels, including through partnerships with social media platforms and internet search engines.
- Understanding our customers: Analyzing your activity with us (including your interactions with our Websites, Apps, Social Media Pages, and emails or other forms of communications, analyzing trends and statistics). We keep track of the pages you visit and the manner in which you use the Websites to determine what products are most popular and whether to make changes to the Websites. We may, from time to time, review your information and information of other customers to help us analyze trends, purchasing patterns and preferences, and demographics.
- Personalization: Using your preferences and other collected information to personalize your shopping experience by using your product interests, shopping patterns, and purchase information to recommend other products, services, or promotions that we believe you may be interested in as well as personalizing advertising and experiences on our Websites, Apps, emails, and ads.
- Communications: Communicating with you, including responding to your requests and asking for feedback through surveys or other messages.
- Promotions: Running contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions.
- Hiring: Recruiting and hiring FS employees. When you use any of our Websites to apply for a job, you will be asked to provide certain personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, educational background and employment history. You may also send us your résumé and other information relating to your job search or application. We use this information for recruiting and employment purposes. If you are hired by FS, the information you provide during the recruiting process will become part of our employee records. If you are not hired by FS, we may retain your information to allow us to contact you if another suitable employment opportunity becomes available.
- Customer Experience: Serving content on our Websites, Apps, and Social Media Pages and developing our products and services.
- Security: Protecting FS and our customers from fraud, security threats, and other illegal or harmful activity. We and our third party service providers may disclose specific individual information if we or they reasonably believe it is necessary to: (i) investigate any suspected misuse of any of the Websites; (ii) protect or defend the rights, property and interests of FS, our customers, or the interests of our third party service providers; or (iii) under exigent circumstances, to protect the personal safety of users of any of the Websites or the public.
- Legal Obligations: Complying with legal and regulatory requirements and responding to requests from courts or other government bodies.
4. How FS Shares Information with Service Providers and Third Parties and For What Purposes
FS may share personal information with third parties for certain purposes. For example, we share personal information with:
- Service Providers: We partner with third parties to assist with many aspects of our business, including fulfilling orders, advertising, analyzing your interests and activity on our Websites and Social Media Pages, and helping us communicate with customers. These third parties may provide services related to any of the purposes described in How We Use Your Information, and we may share with them any types of information described in Information We Collect. We may also receive information collected by these third parties and combine it with the information we have collected. Some of these third parties may be located outside the United States. Your information may also be collected and processed by third parties, such as the payment providers you select, who will process your information independently in accordance with their own privacy notices.
- Marketing Providers: We partner with third parties to assist with the advertising and marketing of our business. We may share with them the types of information described in How We Use Your Information.
- Other Third Parties: We will disclose information about you, including to government bodies or law enforcement agencies, when we believe it to be necessary for compliance with the law or to protect our Websites and Apps, our users, or the public.
5. Your Privacy Choices
You can control the information we collect and use in the following ways:
- Location Information: You can disable location-based services on your mobile device or web browser by adjusting the settings on your device or browser. This will prevent our Websites from accessing your location information. Note that some services may not be available if you disable location-based services, and you may experience difficulties shopping online at the Websites.
- Emails: You can unsubscribe from marketing emails or our newsletter by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of such email.
- Online Accounts: You can keep your contact information and payment methods accurate and up to date by logging into your account on our Websites. If you wish to cancel your account, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Advertising: For information about opting out of third party advertising, visit: NAI Opt-Out or DAA. You can also click on the icon that may appear on some of our advertising served through this technology. We may use more than one third party company for placing this advertising, which would require you to opt out of each company.
- Parties to a Business Transaction: Your information may be transferred to another entity that succeeds to all or part of FS’s business in connection with a sale, reorganization, consolidation or merger. Your information may be shared under obligations of confidentiality and non-disclosure to a prospective successor or purchaser of FS’s business.
FS does not knowingly or purposefully request or collect personal information from any person under the age of 16 years old. If you believe that your child under the age of 16 has submitted personal information to FS in connection with our Websites or Apps, please contact us at email@example.com.
We take steps to help protect the confidentiality and security of your personal information. Although we use measures to protect your personal information, in general, information transmitted through the Internet may not be completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided over the Internet or stored in our databases. Your transmissions are, therefore, at your own risk. You can protect your information by selecting strong, unique passwords for your accounts and any associated email addresses.
8. Supported Web Browsers and Do Not Track Signals
10. Governing Law
11. Links to Other Websites
Our Websites may, from time to time, contain links to websites owned and operated by third parties (“Third Party Sites”). We encourage you to review the privacy policies of such Third Party Sites so that you understand how those websites collect, use and share your information. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or other content on Third Party Sites.
13. Contact Us
14. Supplemental Privacy Notice for California Consumers
As a resident of California, you have rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act, California Civil Code § 1798.100 et seq., (with any implementing regulations and as may be amended from time to time, “CCPA”) relevant to your Personal Information (as defined under the CCPA), as well as other laws. The rights described herein are subject to exemptions under the CCPA and other limitations under applicable law.
California Consumer Rights Under the CCPA: If your Personal Information is subject to the CCPA, you may have certain privacy rights with regard to that information. You may have the right to:
- Request that we provide you access to the following no more than twice in a 12- month period:
- the categories and specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or sharing your Personal Information;
- the categories of third parties with whom we share your Personal Information; and the categories of Personal Information that are sold (as defined under the CCPA) and the categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold.
- Request that we delete your Personal Information, subject to exceptions under the CCPA or other applicable law; and
- Request that we not “sell” your Personal Information by opting out of the sale of your Personal Information.
California residents also have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of any of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA, as described in this section. FS will not discriminate against you because you have exercised any of your rights under the CCPA.
How to Submit a Request
If you wish to exercise your right to request access to your Personal Information, to request deletion of your Personal Information, or to request that we opt you out of the sale of your Personal Information, please submit your request through this www.foodsciencecorp.com/optout or toll-free at 1-800-451-5190.
If you wish to exercise your right to request access to your Personal Information, to request deletion of your Personal Information, or to request that we opt you out of the sale of your Personal Information, please call us toll-free at 1-800-451-5190.
FS is required to provide you with access to your Personal Information or delete your Personal Information only in response to verifiable consumer requests. We will compare the information you provide in the webform or to our customer service agents via the toll-free number, to any information we may have in our possession in order to verify your request. You may be asked to provide us with information such as your home address, email address, and telephone number. We may also contact you to request additional information in relation to your request. The information you provide must match the information we have in our possession. This measure is in place to help ensure that Personal Information is not disclosed to any person who does not have the right to receive it. The information collected through this process will be used for verification purposes only.
For more information on your right to opt-out of the sale of your Personal Information, please visit www.foodsciencecorp.com/donotsellmyinformation.
Please note that you may authorize an agent to exercise any of these rights on your behalf by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-451-5190 or by submitting the request through the www.foodsciencecorp.com/optout. If you use an agent, we will take measures to verify your agent’s authorization similar to the verification described above for fulfilling any access or deletion requests. We may require more information to ensure proper verification of you and your agent’s identity and authorization.
Please note that you may authorize an agent to exercise any of these rights on your behalf by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-451-5190. If you use an agent, we will take measures to verify your agent’s authorization similar to the verification described above for fulfilling any access or deletion requests. We may require more information to ensure proper verification of you and your agent’s identity and authorization.
Categories of Personal Information Sold
In the previous 12 months, FS has sold (as defined under the CCPA) the following categories of Personal Information: contact information, device information, location information, website usage, shopping history, social media usage, and profile information.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed for a Business Purpose
We share personal information about you with service providers and third parties for business purposes, such as operational purposes and other purposes related to providing you with the products and services you seek from us. For more information about the business purposes for which we disclose personal information, see How FS Shares Information with Service Providers and Third Parties and For What Purposes and see Information We Collect for what types of information may be shared.
If you have opted-out of the sale of your Personal Information, you are welcome to opt back in at any time. To opt-in, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly request to opt-in to the sale of your Personal Information.
Additional California Privacy Rights
California residents may also ask us to provide them with (i) a list of certain categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, and (ii) the identity of those third parties. California residents may make one request per calendar year.
To make this request, you may contact us at email@example.com. In your request, please include a subject line that states “CA Shine the Light Request”, state that you are a California resident, and provide a current California address for our response.
Copyright © 2021 FoodScience®, LLC. All rights reserved. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.